Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cataclysm - Will it suck?

By now, I'm sure everybody has heard a bunch of rumors and "blue posts" and random factoids about Cataclysm.

Here are my brief thoughts, with a couple reasons:

Druid changes:
1) Druid tank: New AoE bleed sounds really cool, I look forward to seeing how this works in combination with swipe.
2) Druid ability: BRING ON THE SHROOMS! Seriously, this new spell has a lot of potential to be amusing and useful, so long as it isn't abysmally underpowered or way overpowered.
3) Druid Tree: WTF? No more trees? GIMME MY FOREST! Druids are all about forms, if we wanted to stand around in caster form, we'd play....ANYTHING ELSE. We like our forms, don't take them away because you want to show off armor...make armor mold to our forms if you want to show the armor off. Don't be lazy Bliz.

Mark/Honor/etc changes:
This makes sense, but really doesn't change anything other than making bookkeeping (and explanations to new players) easier. 2 tiers of tokens/points...ignore the names and just think arena/honor and progression/prior-tier, and you're set.

Raiding:
WTF? Seriously, everything on 1 lockout? They clearly don't want people like me to play this game, when the only thing I enjoy is raiding. 10 man has the small charm to it, and I love running 10 mans with friends, either to help them out or to bust up an achievement. Then I run the 25's for gear and an actual skill check. Now, don't get me wrong, if Blizz can actually get 10 and 25 man raids to be the same...which they COMPLETELY failed at in WotLK (and let's face it, just scaling the fights means 25 mans can't be as interesting with as many things going on at once), then I'm on board for making 10 and 25 man gear the same types of drops. However, if you're making it so I have to choose to raid with friends vs raid with a guild of great players that I get along with...don't expect me to just go level another alt (which I can't do because I already have max number of chars on the server)...expect me to play less, which will lead to less fun with the game, which will lead to a canceled subscription. On top of that, now we'd be limited to only ever trying one mode and one type, so expect progression guilds to drop to 10 man mode for one boss, go to 25 man for the next, etc...and the whole system is just going to piss people off.

Artwork/Graphics:
The concept art looks amazing in most aspects, and the screenshots look pretty good that have been shown so far. Here's hoping it'll look great, but not make everybody have to get a brand new computer to run it...that's always been one of the nice things about WoW is that you didn't have to have a hardcore gaming system to run it, even if you wanted to be mostly hardcore about playing it. Now, I doubt they can come out with something that won't run on one of my systems acceptably, but I know many people with systems just keeping up with acceptable play levels in WotLK...so let's hope they won't all just stop playing WoW since they have no reason to get a newer computer otherwise, not being hard core gamers.

No comments:

Post a Comment